08 June 2011

Letting Go

It's hard to come to terms with how much time I wasted before I became a mother. With all the time in the world, I did very little. I wanted to write, but rarely ever did. Instead I read a lot, watched television a lot, slept late whenever I could, and generally took for granted that someday when I was struck with inspiration I would write.

I didn't know that my life as a writer would intersect so much with my life as a mother. In many ways, both began at the same time. And then this whole photography thing started. Sometimes all I can do is hang on for dear life.

I tend to be very demanding of myself, and I'm learning to let go, mostly because there is so little I can control. I have to be patient; there are still so many changes ahead. But it's nice to be able to look back, at something so simple as a photograph, and remember why I'm doing all this.

***
These photos are from Lily's birthday, on film.

1 comment: