24 May 2011

All Good Things


The days are all tangled together. Some days are harder than others. Some days are harder on Lily than on Adam or me. Thankfully for her, there is lots of sleep in her own crib with her own blankets and her babies.

We all sleep in the same room. Adam and I are on our mattress on the floor; Lily's crib is two feet away. She wakes in the middle of the night and we take turns patting her back to sleep. I've learned that I need to get to bed early so I can handle her waking in the middle of the night or very, very early in the morning. This morning she woke at 7:30. I was thankful.

Nothing is like what we thought it would be. I've thought (more often than I would have guessed) that we left a good thing. We loved our house and neighborhood. Lily's school was right down the street. Winn Dixie was two blocks over. Yesterday I asked Adam which house he loved the best, of all the houses he's lived in. He answered this one, the one we're staying in now, where he has so many fond memories of tinkering around in the back woods. He asked me the same question, and I said the house I loved best was the one we just left. It wasn't perfect, but it was where I was happiest.

I worried that we wouldn't find that again. Finding a house to rent was becoming problematic and for two days we toyed with the idea of home ownership. But this morning, after deciding renting for one more year really is the best decision for us, we got the call from the only rental house we've looked at so far, offering us a lease. It's a duplex in a nice part of the city, a walkable neighborhood with a playground right down the street. It may not be what we had in Mobile, but it seems just the right fit for right now.

No comments: