22 June 2010

A Sick Day

Today I woke to a screaming baby and no power. Not a good thing when the predicted temperature is in the mid-nineties. We made it through breakfast, and I was thankful for a gas stove I could light so I could make my coffee (and also for my French press cozy). By 8:15 Lily was down for a nap, and she woke with a mild rash growing across her body. I called the doctor and hoped by our return the power and air conditioning would be back on.

Turns out Lily has "hand, foot, and mouth" virus and a low-grade fever. The only cure: lots of cuddles, napping, and children's motrin. Thankfully the power was on when we returned home, so our home-bound sick day isn't accompanied by the prospect of sweating to death. And our day has been filled with many naps, many cuddles, and many verses of "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus".

It reminds me of this verse by St. Francis:
O Divine Master, ask that I not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying to self that we are reborn
to eternal life.
Amen.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Well it sounds like you made the most of your unexpected sick day. I love that St Francis poem. Hope all are feeling well tomorrow!