24 June 2010

750 Words

Good morning
I've been trying something new this week. At the end of the day, once Lily has gone to bed and it's quiet, I have been writing. I open my browser to 750 Words, a website based on the morning pages in The Artist's Way, and blather on about how I don't feel like writing and I don't know why I'm bothering to write these 750 words and how long it takes to write 750 words. Of course, there may be variations, but it's mostly a pile of resentful drivel that I'm making myself type out.

And then I write about a page of "real writing".

But a page is becoming more and more each night. The words are coming easier, and I've sort of let go of the notion that what I write has to be any good. I just need to write.

I think a lot of my hangups about writing, all that chatter in my head that stops me from actually getting any words down, are coming out when I puke up my 750 words. Like pre-writing therapy, only no one ever gets to see it and I don't have to deal with it once it's out. It feels pretty good.

And I'm shocked that it actually works.

3 comments:

kate o. said...

i feel like this concept applies to so much in my life. i get all hung up on why i can't or won't do something. who knows how many hours/how much energy i spend pouring into such ridiculous time wasting instead of actually just doing!

good for you for doing!

Alina said...

I have heard good things about this book. I've been meaning to add it to my library list.

I need some pre-writing therapy right now. I think a lot about process in writing/relationships/goals, etc. When the writing well of inspiration runs out, I'm often tempted to think I should just stop writing. But I'm starting to see writing as more of my job, a necessity, not simply something I do when I feel like it. It's not such a romantic way to look at writing, but it feels good and right. It also keeps me from riding the up and down waves of inspiration.

Mari L. McCarthy said...

Pre-writing therapy. Love it! I'll use it in my journal writing therapy business. Thank you. We have stuck in our bodies all sorts of what I call "crazycrap" and by unloading the stuff, we get to our real writer sooner. Why not try your 750 words in a pen to page manner? WriteON!