04 June 2010

A Few Thoughts on Style

Did you ever see the episode of Friends where Phoebe hates Pottery Barn? She insists that everyone ends up with the same stuff. As our home decorating is starting to come together, I've been thinking a lot about how slow it is to build piece by piece and how much easier it would be to walk into a store like Rooms To Go and pick out a living room. A living room like a million other living rooms. A living room that looks like a showroom. No, thank you.

Our home is filled with hand-me-downs and garage sale finds with a few new pieces thrown in. And for a long time it hasn't really gelled (maybe it still doesn't). But I like the idea of taking it one step at a time, taking risks, and being unique. I don't want to walk into someone else's house and see my own decor.

My way requires a lot of patience (and painting), but I'm hoping by the time I'm 40 and living in our own house Adam and I will have built a collection of pieces that reflect our family's style. I'm also banking on us owning a house before I turn 40.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Love this and totally agree! Your handmade pillows and cute painted shelf are unique to you and your style. I think it's so fun to do those creative projects - even something as simple as painting a picture frame a different color or adding a new pillow can totally change things!

Sophia said...

YOu will never believe what I am watching that very episode of Friends!! what are the chances of that! lol
I couldn't believe it.

Sidenote: I too would like to own my 'forever' home by the time I am 40! :)
Here's to hoping and praying!