08 April 2010

Why I Don’t Have a Smartphone

I get nervous about my online media diet. Having worked a desk job that didn’t keep me busy forty hours a week, I used to be quite proficient in my daily routine, which encompassed a myriad of bunny trails and regular stops to get me through the day. Things like Twitter and Facebook were mere vehicles to propel me through my boring days, and evenings were computer-free.

Nowadays I’m a bit more guarded with my free time, and my media diet is totally inconsistent. Some days I don’t get even get on the computer. Most days I check Facebook, Flickr, and a handful of blogs I love, and that’s about it. I’m certain I’m missing out on some really great internet perusing, but I am not willing to offer hours of my day to the web. Which is why I don’t have a Smartphone. If I did, I’m sure I’d be too connected and unable to unplug. And for me right now, time spent unplugged is amazing.

There’s a lot of food for thought in this reporter’s account of giving up Facebook and Twitter. And also here, where another writer comes to terms with her Twitter addiction. I can’t say that I’m addicted to any of it, but I also can’t say that I have a healthy relationship with media, particularly of the interweb variety. Thankfully, it’s all quite forgiving, and there are times when I can sequester the computer in the other room while I enjoy a day void of screen time.

The internet doesn’t seem to miss me much when I’m not there. But like an old friend, we always pick up where we left off.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

oooooh the irony.....
I was setting up my new iphone when I clicked on this post. lol

I feel TOOOO connected these days and it does easily become an addiction!

I know I have been convicted before of my usage when one of kids comes and asks me to close the laptop.
done mommy.
that hits me right in the heart. :)

I am very much looking forward to having a good camera and video on my phone though- to catch those little buggers in action!


I have definately been trying to make a concerted effort to read more and crochet, and step-away- from the computer.

thanks for this post.