16 February 2010

More in the Making

Another cowl: After finishing yesterday's knitting project, I rummaged through my stash of yarn and found the beginning of a scarf in bright turquoise. At ten inches wide and twenty-four long, it was already the perfect size to be sewn up into a cowl. (Incidently, the green cowl was knit in the round, whereas this one was flat.) This yarn is supersoft and fuzzy, so the cowl is really slouchy, which I like. Why have I not been making cowls all along? Granola: I usually make granola using this recipe. When I came across this one on Katie Did, I figured I'd give it a go. I didn't have wheat germ or coconut, but I already had everything else in the cupboard. I went to work mixing it up but, as usual, I didn't really measure anything. I prefer to eyeball measurements, especially with something like granola that I figure you can't really screw up.

Hmm. The granola ended up being really clumpy and hard. It tasted all right with a generous amount of whole milk poured over it, but I obviously need to reevaluate my eyeball method of measurement because something went awry. A mess: Let's hear it for Cheerios! The best little distraction ever invented. Except that they are everywhere -- on the floor, in the high chair, in Lily's clothes. A small price to pay, I suppose.The decision to fast: Tomorrow begins Lent and Adam and I are giving up alcohol. The last beer is sitting in the fridge, waiting to be consumed this evening. And today Lily and I are donning our beads in celebration of Mardi Gras, because there's no way I'm taking her downtown today for the parades. No. way.

No comments: