28 January 2011

Time Together

When I was a child I thought adults had nothing to worry about. I thought that once you reach adulthood all of the challenges of growing up were over so life must get easier. I thought this even though my parents got divorced.

I guess they hid the tough-ness of adulthood pretty well because any of us who are adults know that it isn't easy. I'm not here to whine about it, but to say that it's hard work making all these adult decisions and balancing work and home and family.

This week was a tough one. It was the first week I had multiple writing deadlines and meetings, in addition to teaching. I used every spare moment to get everything that needed doing done. Every spare moment, that is, except for the ones that might interfere in our family time.

I realized that the one thing I'm unwilling to give up is quality time with Lily. I will give up exercise and time alone. I will give up sleep. But when I'm spending time with my daughter, that's all that I'm doing. I don't sit at the computer or make phone calls or think about looming deadlines. When I'm with Lily, I'm simply with Lily.

But Lily goes to mom's day out three days a week, on the two mornings I teach and one extra morning that is supposedly time for me (the last two weeks it wasn't). I have time to do my work while she's at "school." If I need to, I also work while she's napping or after she's gone to bed.

So when I'm home with Lily, that's it. We read and draw and play. We have handfuls of time together, and I try to make the most of it. The busier I get though, the less willing I am to give up that time with her. What I'm getting at is that I want to be the best mom I can and that's a priority over the other things in my life. I work hard and I don't miss deadlines, but Lily and Adam are always at the top of my list.

We're all happier that way.

No comments: