16 June 2010

Granola Bars

In a recent trip to the library, I wandered the cooking section and pulled off the shelf Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It came in handy today when I was looking for something to do with all these blueberries. So I decided to make his blueberry cobbler, a recipe that is simple, straightforward, and left me with a mess of blueberry goodness at the bottom of the oven to clean later.

After placing the cobbler in the oven, I looked up Bittman's granola recipe and saw that, in addition to a granola recipe that looks a lot like the one I already use, there is a recipe for no-bake granola bars. Recently I was talking with a couple of friends who wanted to how to make granola bars, so finding this recipe was a bit fortuitous. (Incidentally, our conversation included the prospect of adding fluff to get the bars to stick together. Thankfully, that's wholly unnecessary.)

Though I haven't quite made the bars yet, here is the recipe, for my fluff-loving friends and all the granola munchers out there.

No-Bake Granola Bars
from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

3/4 c. honey
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
3 c. any good, not-too-sweet granola

Put the honey, brown sugar, and oil in a small pot and bring to a boil. Put the granola in a large bowl and pour the sugar mixture over the top while mixing; stir until the granola is well coated.

Press into an 8- or 9-inch square pan and let cool in the fridge. Cut into squares or rectangles and serve. Store in an airtight contain for up to 4 days.

See for variations.

3 comments:

kate o. said...

i have a whole new bag of granola i just made sitting in the fridge. i think some of it needs to become these bars...

Bethany said...

That's my favorite cookbook. :)

Lindsay said...

Kate, a word of warning: Follow the recipe to a T. I made the bars and they are not right, because I got a little slap happy and improvised with what I had. When will I learn?

Bethany, it's one I'm thinking we should buy. Not a joke that there's a recipe for everything!