11 October 2009

30 Days of Happiness | Pumpkins with my Pumpkins

Pumpkins are a sign of happiness, for sure. Who can resist a big orange ball of pulp? Not me. So, for my birthday, we went to the pumpkin patch and took our pick. We picked pumpkins for the front porch and a few exotic mini pumpkins that are sitting in a bowl on the dining room table. It helps to bring bits of autumn inside, even if the air conditioning is still running.

As we wandered the pumpkin field, I was quite nostalgic for our old stomping grounds and a little farm market that sets up teepees for Halloween and has a petting zoo and tractor rides and, of course, pumpkins. When I was a child, we went every year, and though it was always the same, it was always, always special. I wish we could take Lily so she could bundle up and eat an Empire apple and experience a real northeast fall. But she's still so young and there's time for all that, I hope.
Choosing pumpkins is a certain sign that autumn will be sticking around here soon. Driving through our new neighborhood, we've seen a fair share of decorated houses readying themselves for trick-or-treaters. And, though Adam works on Halloween, I plan to dress up Lily and show her off to the neighbors. Maybe they'll even give me a treat or two.

No comments: