04 February 2009

A Photo for Every Day

[January 5]

[January 7]

[January 10]

[January 21]

[January 22]

[January 26]

[January 29]

It's a little over a month into the 365 project, and I thought I would share some outtakes. Some days I end up taking a bunch of pictures and have a hard time choosing just one to fit the day. Other days, I feel like I'm scrambling around trying to take a picture of anything remotely interesting, especially before the sun goes down. (And then there's being sick, but that's a different story.)

In January, I uploaded 155 photos to Flickr, a mere representation of what I've actually taken. It's been at least twice that, if not more -- partly due to my attempt to take a "perfect" picture, partly so I have lots of options to choose from, partly because digital pictures are extremely forgiving.

I usually have a concept (albeit, a vague one most often) of what I want to shoot, but that's not frequently been the best picture of the day. What I've noticed is that the happy accidents and unplanned shots usually outdo the photos where I'm trying to achieve something. (I think there's a metaphor for letting go in there.)

Overall, the project is challenging, especially with a little point-and-shoot camera, but in a good way. It's forcing me to think about angles, light, composition. It's getting me to examine the simplicity in life with fresh eyes and pause daily to notice what's around me. It's not a bad way to look at the world.

No comments: